TLDR: On Deck is looking for a Product Marketing Manager who can help us launch new products and features that systematically remove friction for founders starting companies.
About On Deck and the role
On Deck is on a mission to expand the startup economy. We help people start and scale companies, get impactful jobs at companies, and invest in their careers.
What began as a humble dinner series has, in the last two years, transformed into a thriving business responsible for the creation of over 650 companies that have surpassed $800M in funding.
As the Senior Product Marketing Manager, you'll be joining a small team of marketers on the Startups team driving market awareness of ODX, ODF and On Deck’s brand as the go-to place for founders and founders to be.
On Deck’s primary way of attracting founders is by launching new products and features that consistently and systematically remove barriers from starting new companies – think ODF Advances, Flexport and others.
That’s why we’re looking for a creative, driven product marketer who can help us better understand founders, and use that knowledge to launch new products, tools, and features that generate net new entrepreneurship.
Working closely with the Design, Brand and Marketing teams, you'll find, execute, and grow the next significant growth opportunities.
Who You’ll Work With
In this role, you’ll report to Gonz, the Head of Growth, Startups and work closely with the marketing team, the brand team and the Startups team.
As a member of a marketing organization, you will help shape On Deck’s overall go-to-market strategy for startups, user experience for www.beondeck.com, email campaigns, and marketing collateral.
What you will do
- Drive market impact: Ensure cross-functional alignment and lead product and feature launches of On Deck's new products, verticals, partnerships, and tools for founders; create and drive comprehensive go-to-market plans for new features from audience definition, development of core value proposition, to launch and sustain through owned and external channels.
- Be the message owner: Develop compelling narratives and positioning for each new launch that differentiates On Deck against our competitors and communicates value to founders. We’re a narrative-driven company, as you must’ve seen from our threads.
- Become the Market Expert: Understand the ins and outs of the early-stage investing landscape, conduct market analysis, be the company's go-to expert, understand our competitors, and keep track of the evolving market landscape.
- Build Compelling Marketing Content: Be ODX’s messaging expert and work across our team to help develop the website, blogs, podcasts, and other external-facing content to ensure the right messages are hitting the right audiences. Guide the marketing and growth teams on sourcing campaigns, and other collateral as needed.
- Be the voice of the customer: Understand the needs and pains of founders thinking about doing ODX or ODX. Actively participate in discovery stages of product development work and contribute ideas and recommendations to the product roadmap.
Who you are
- You have 5+ years of experience in Growth, Marketing, Venture, Product Marketing, or a similar role.
- You are an excellent copywriter – you obsess over who your customer is and write the perfect copy for them. You love writing, have experience developing narratives and persuading people to try something new, and you care about producing content that will resonate with a broad global audience.
- You have excellent taste and a very high bar for what should go to production. You have a passion for creating high-quality marketing collateral and customer journeys with a keen eye for detail and intuitive user experiences.
- You are data-informed and comfortable with setting up tracking, diving into Google Analytics, or doing an INDEX MATCH in Google Sheets.
- You are smart and scrappy, and willing to figure out what you don't know to get stuff done with minimum supervision.
- You are a proactive, effective communicator, and excited about working in a distributed team.
- You have a positive-sum mentality, and you’re equally excited about rolling up your sleeves to get something done, or reflecting on our Marketing strategy and the big picture. You are familiar with the tech and venture capital industry and believe in technology as a positive driving force.
- You have a bias towards action with an ability to drive results near term as well as the ability to zoom out and connect the day-to-day work to our larger mission.
Why you might not be excited about us
- We are still a fairly young company with about 200 people, so if you like more established companies, this role isn’t for you. You'll help create our company's culture.
- We're an early-stage startup. Projects and priorities are likely to shift.
- Everyone on the team is extremely mission-driven and works incredibly hard to push towards our lofty ambitions. Most people won’t be cut out for it.
- You should be comfortable with just a dash of chaos. This is not the kind of job where you show up and we tell you exactly what to do every day.
- On Deck is an unabashedly pro-startup, pro-tech organization. If that’s not your thing, this isn’t the place for you.